Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Pondering 37...

As today is my 37th birthday, I find cause to reflect on the meaning of one more year in this world. One of the things I find interesting is that as we get older, birthdays tend to take on new meaning. I recall my mother telling me not to remind her of the fact that it was her birthday as she said it just reminded her of how old she was, or how old she felt. For kids, on the other hand, birthdays are a time of celebration. I guess once we outgrow the parties and the celebratory aspects of 'the birthday,' the meaning does start to change.

For me, today's early morning reflection was devoted to trying to understand the significance of the birthday from the perspective of my life as a Muslim. As in Islam, we have no theological reason for celebrating birthdays, nonetheless, on a personal level the birthday should mean something to our lives, as it is an indicator that we have been graced By Allah with another year in this world. On that note, Surah al-Asr is a very poignant reminder to us about the gift of time and how, if we are blessed with it, we should approach it. Though short in length, al-Asr is powerful in its clarity and meaning:

"By the declining day,
Lo! man is in a state of loss,
Save those who believe and do good works, and exhort one another to truth and exhort one another to patient endurance."

The message for me on this my 37th birthday is a clear reminder from the All-Merciful. Celebrating another year in this life is only warranted if in fact that time is used for the blessed purpose of living in a manner that is aligned with Allah's pleasure. Praying for more time here is, therefore, conditional -- ask for it if you're going to make good use of it. If not, what are we wishing for?

Alhamdulillah that Allah has given me another year in this world, surrounded by wonderful people, a loving family, an honest living to wake up to every morning, good health and all that I could ever need to make it through the day. In fact, maybe that's the purpose of celebrating birthdays. Another year to take stock and make the futile attempt to actually count all ways that Allah has blessed us.

On this, my 37th birthday, I am humbled by my pondering over what this birthday really means -- a time for reflection and gratitude...

“And if you would count the favours of Allah, never could you count them. Truly, Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.” (An-Nahl 16: 18)

5 comments:

  1. Reality check is always the way to go.

    Have a blessed 37th.

    cs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happyyyyyyyy 37th from CS, me and Syajie!!! Forget the numbers, celebrate the fact that you've certainly been blessed with such a doting wife, beautiful children and most of all your journey into Islam is so remarkable and is a source of inspiration to all of us.

    By the way, I prefer this kind of blogging as it allows you to share your personal journey in Islam. Hopes it touches many hearts and in turn gives them an opportunity to learn Islam through your experiences...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alhamdulillah, thanks guys... Never forget, you all made it possible!! I like blogging like this too... Just need to feel inspired more often I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:16 PM

    Happy Happy birthday sweet husband...geeshhhh what kind of a wife is this forgetting her own husband's birthday. Insya Allah many years to come living in his blessings...


    wifey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:23 AM

    Salaam.
    When you look for someone to call a brother then turn to sidi Abd'Lateef. masha ALLAH, it has been nice knowing you and thanks for that you have added to our lives.

    Wishing you a belated happy birthday from this faqir ila ALLAH.

    we love you all sidi.
    Abu bakr Sadiq.

    ReplyDelete