Friday, January 13, 2006

The Problem with Young People....

In my job interview today I was asked by one of the panelists what I thought was wrong with the youth of Malaysia. I responded that I thought we (i.e. the adults) were actually the problem with youth. I added that young people are merely responding to the world we have created for them. If you look at what we have built, how we conduct ourselves, the example we set (collectively), is it any wonder that youth are acting (and reacting) the way they are? Simply put, children and youth are our mirrors -- they reflect our hypocrisy and show it to us through their words and actions. So you wanna change young people? Then change yourself first.... "...Allah does not change a people's lot unless they change what is in their hearts..." (Qur'an, 13:11).

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering, how did the interview go? Wasn't sure if they like your answer. Sometimes truth hurts and it always easier to blame others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:56 PM

    Assalamualaikum.

    Dr.,

    In my personal opinion, if we want to educate youngsters especially young adult, we would have to show them the good example of us, the way we talk, the way we interact with others and so on.

    ReplyDelete