Thursday, July 24, 2008

Remembrance or Forgetfulness?

I had a discussion with a student yesterday. He asked me about a conversation he had with a co-worker, who, upon learning that my student liked to do zikr on his motorbike on his way to work, asked my student why he needed to say that particular surah so many times when, according to the Prophet (SAW), saying la ilaha illallah once with sincerity is sufficient. My student did not know how to answer his co-worker at the time. The incident reminded me of something my teacher taught me, so I relayed it to him. Based on what I was taught, the answer is, actually, quite simple and it lies in the Hadith Qudsi which states very clearly, "I am with My slave when he remembers me." Every moment in this life is an opportunity to be in one of two states -- that of remembrance or that of forgetfulness. To be in remembrance is when Allah returns the favor and remembers us, resulting in infinite goodness. To be otherwise is, well, otherwise. As such, after your one sincere moment of remembrance, what then? What do you do with the remaining moments? The Great Jihad is fought at this level -- in the heart and the mind. To live in remembrance as often as possible, or in forgetfulness. This is the choice we have as we go through this life and its string of moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment